The oldest profession in the world is still criminalized by the state of Kansas. The law maintains that it is a crime to buy or sell sex, or to facilitate the commercial sex trade. In other words, prostitution, whether you are offering it or hiring it, is against the law in Kansas and most states. A conviction on charges of soliciting a prostitute can result in sex offender registration along with a hefty fine.
Arrests related to prostitution occur regularly, mainly because of undercover operations by law enforcement officials. One momentary lapse of judgment can turn into a career-destroying, life-changing event. An accusation alone attracts unwarranted public attention, shattering your reputation in the community.
Will you let the life and career you have worked so hard to establish, get destroyed in the blink of an eye?
Have You Been the Victim of an Entrapment?
The Swain Law Office Can Help Protect Your Future
Call Toll Free at 1-866-550-2787
What the Law Says
Prostitution is defined as performing or offering to perform any of the following acts for hire, where there is an exchange of value:
* Sexual intercourse
* Manual or other bodily contact stimulation of the genitals of any person with the intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desires of the offender or another.
Patronizing a prostitute is either:
* Entering or remaining in a place where sexual relations are being sold or offered for sale with intent to engage in manual or other bodily contact stimulation of the genitals of any person with the intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desires of the offender or another, sexual intercourse, sodomy or any unlawful sexual act with a person selling sexual relations who is 18 years of age or older; or
* hiring a person selling sexual relations who is 18 years of age or older to engage in manual or other bodily contact stimulation of the genitals of any person with the intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desires of the offender or another, sexual intercourse, sodomy or any unlawful sexual act.
Promoting prostitution is:
* Establishing, owning, maintaining or managing a house of prostitution, or participating in the establishment, ownership, maintenance, or management of it
* Permitting any place partially or wholly owned or controlled by the defendant to be used as a house of prostitution
* Procuring, inducing, or soliciting a prostitute for a house of prostitution or for a patron
* Procuring transportation for, paying for the transportation of, or transporting a person within this state with the intention of assisting or promoting that person’s engaging in prostitution
The penalties for prostitution related offenses are even harsher when the alleged prostitute is 18 or younger.
What Is The First Step To Clear Your Name?
It is critical that you act immediately and enlist the services of a legal team who knows the law thoroughly, before you consult or talk to anyone.
The Swain Law Office, has handled thousands of prostitution-related cases in the Kansas City metropolitan area and throughout the state of Kansas. Our clients, often lured into a sting operation, include business executives, medical professionals, accountants and college professors.
Attorney Sarah G. Swain has had commendable success in helping first-time offenders avoid conviction and sex offender registration through placement into diversion programs.
To disguise this illegal activity, an increasing number of prostitutes of all ages are turning to the internet to conduct “business”. The women, struggling to survive, are posting ads on websites such as Craigslist, and end up getting arrested by the police posing as “clients”.
Online advertising of prostitution also has another danger. Often, it involves sex trafficking of teenage child prostitutes because you can never know for sure who is behind the screen. If the person you solicited online turns out to be a minor, and you responded unknowingly, Jessica’s Law can turn your mistake into a 25-year jail sentence, and destroy your life.
Discrete and Aggressive Advocacy
Have questions about Kansas prostitution laws or online solicitation charges? Have you been arrested for selling or buying sex? Contact our offices today and talk to one of our seasoned sex crimes lawyer about your situation. Our lawyers understand that your freedom and discretion are of utmost importance. We have the experience and legal resources to put together a tough defense strategy for you.
We know how confusing the legal jargon and the laws can be. Initial consultations are free of charge. You can set up an appointment with us whenever necessary, whether that’s in the evenings, on a weekend, or in jail.