Most people associate the phrase “sexual assault” with rape. And that in turn, is thought of as a crime committed by a stranger.
Here’s the truth.
In the eyes of the law, any kind of unwanted physical contact from anyone can be construed as a sexual assault or a sexual battery. It can happen at the workplace, home, between a couple that is married or not, or even a parent and a child. Allegations of sexual assault are complicated, sensitive, and can disrupt the life of the accused forever.
If convicted, you face serious penalties, including at least seven years of sex offender registration. But for you and your family, the damage and pain can last even longer.
Have You Been Accused of Sexual Assault? Take Action Immediately
Call the Swain Law Office Toll Free at 1-866-550-2787
What the Law Says:
In Kansas, sexual battery is defined as:
* the touching of a victim who is not the spouse of the offender, who is 16 or more years of age and who does not consent thereto, with the intent to arouse or satisfy the sexual desires of the offender or another.
Aggravated sexual battery is:
the touching of a victim who is 16 or more years of age and who does not consent thereto with the intent to arouse or satisfy the sexual desires of the offender or another and under any of the following circumstances:
* When the victim is overcome by force or fear;
* when the victim is unconscious or physically powerless; or
* when the victim is incapable of giving consent because of mental deficiency or disease, or when the victim is incapable of giving consent because of the effect of any alcoholic liquor, narcotic, drug or other substance, which condition was known by, or was reasonably apparent to, the offender.
Sexual battery is a Class A Misdemeanor and Aggravated sexual battery is a level 5, person felony.
Protect the Life that You’ve Built
At the Swain Law Office, we understand that your reputation is at stake. We serve clients throughout the state of Kansas with criminal defense against all charges of sexual assault. Seasoned attorney Sarah G. Swain has handled thousands of felony cases and can be an aggressive and zealous advocate on your behalf.
Ms. Swain and our legal team are prepared to build a strong and comprehensive defense strategy for you in sexual assault cases that involve:
* Date rape/acquaintance rape
* Domestic sexual assaults/marital rape
* Indecent liberties with a minor
* Child sexual abuse/molestation
* Sexual battery
* Criminal sodomy
Know Your Rights
Regardless of how serious or unfounded the sexual assault charges are, it is crucial to remember that taking these allegations lightly or talking to anyone other than your lawyer about “what really happened”, will hurt your case.
Never underestimate the value of exercising your right to remain silent.
The Swain Law Office Can Help Prove Your Innocence
At this critical moment, who you choose to trust is what makes all the difference.
If you have been charged with sexual assault or any sex crime, no matter how “frivolous” you think the allegations are, contact our offices at once.
Talk to us about your arrest and the charges against you. The Swain Law Office will provide you initial consultation and guidance free of charge. If you choose to hire us, payment is accepted through all major credit cards. We will see you whenever and as many times as is necessary, whether that’s in the evenings, weekends, or for in-jail appointments.